Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Halloween Dinner - Bloody Stump or Feet of Meat

Several years ago I made one of those impulse buys. You know them - you are standing at the checkout counter at the grocery store waiting for an eternity and something there at the check-stand catches your eye, and somehow makes it home with you as well!


There at the check stand, I found a little book with several Halloween recipes in it, and the following recipe (with my alterations) gets made at our home every year in time for Halloween. While truly, it looks kind of nasty (the whole toenails thing - gag!), taste-wise, this rivals my grandmothers meatloaf, yet it is much easier than grandma's!

Finally, I figured I'd better post this because my sister asks me for this recipe EVERY year, and then I have to go hunt it down.

Really, it's about the toenails....

2 ½ pounds ground beef or meat loaf mixture
1 t. minced garlic
½ cup breadcrumbs or oatmeal
½ cup milk or water
1 egg
1 envelope (1 ounce) onion soup mix
8 Brazil nuts or almonds
2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce or ketchup

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix ground beef, minced garlic, breadcrumbs, milk, egg and onion soup mix in large bowl until blended. Remove and set aside 1 cup of the mixture.
Dived remaining mixture in half and shape each half into an oval about 7 x 4 inches. Place oval shapes side – by – side on a rimmed baking sheet. Divide reserved mixture into 8 balls and place 4 balls at end of each oval to form toes. Press 1 Brazil nut into each toe to form toenails. Brush meat loaf with barbecue sauce and bake 1 ½ hours.

Notes: Instead of breadcrumbs, I whatever flavor of croĆ»tons I have on hand - crushed. I also use the cheap generic BBQ sauce – go figure. If you make this as one combined whole instead of the feet/stumps, it does take longer to cook – (my other recipes call for 2 ½ - 3 hours).

(8 – 10 Servings)

1 comment:

  1. You are funny. I actually have the recipe saved now, so you don't have to hunt it down for me, but this is much more convenient. Just to let you know, I found a blog that was doing a severed hand. I like your foot a bit better (though she did have some good ideas and incorporating the two will make for a pretty gruesome looking foot next year)and so I pointed her in this direction. I sent you the corresponding emails about it. Just so you know. And thanks for posting it here. So much easier than hunting it down from my recipe books.

    ReplyDelete