Sunday, February 17, 2019

For the record, experimental cooking - fried egg on a silpat

This post is of a purely educational nature. I don't know if you aren't supposed to do this, I only know that I was super curious to see if it would work, and was thrilled to find that it did.

When we started to eat a plant based diet, fried foods definitely went out the window. Because we don't use coconut oil or cooking spray, most fried foods just weren't an option. Although we've used coconut cream we still hoped to figure out other alternatives at some point.

And so, today I experimented. I wondered if we could fry something on a silpat, on a griddle.
The answer is.....a resounding YES!! 

Here's the egg I fried... no oil, simply the silpat, and heat from the underlying griddle.

There was not sticking and the egg cooked perfectly. And yes, the silpat had some residue from the potato chips I had just been making with it in the microwave. Please just ignore that bit. :)

This experiment was a resounding success and I'm so excited to use the silpat to make my eggless french toast, and pancakes and everything that I want to fry, but don't because I don't use oil in my wfpb lifestyle!



No comments:

Post a Comment