Friday, May 7, 2010

Butterfinger Bars

Several months ago, we stopped by my parent’s house for a visit. Almost everyone was there and so my mother pulled out the heavy artillery. She had tubs of baked goodies for everyone to munch on while we all visited. I blithely grabbed a square ‘something’ that looked almost like a brownie, but not quite, but enticing nonetheless because it was frosted. As I bit into it – I was transported. Yes, as in Star Trek – ‘beam me up Scotty’ transported…back to my elementary school. I was eating a much coveted, often traded (at very high stakes), always anticipated ‘Butterfinger Bar’. I couldn’t believe it.

 


Over the years I have searched for this specific recipe. I found some that professed to be the real thing, but I always came away disappointed. But now unbelievably, my mother had them there on a tray in front of me. I quickly noted where they all were on the tray and sneaked back into the kitchen to hide them all so that I could hoard them all before my siblings all happened upon my discovery.

I demanded to know where my mother had gotten the recipe and began negotiations to obtain the recipe (er..begging). Unfortunately, my mother said that she did not (oh fie!) have the recipe, and that she got the treats from a family member. Cousin, aunt, niece…she just couldn’t remember. Oh the agony!

While I left slightly disgruntled, my tummy was full and happy.

Long story short, I contacted a cousin and hit pay dirt on the first try! She did not make the Butterfinger Bars, her sister did. She however, also had the recipe and would be happy to send it to me…after she got home from work. What a great cousin! I am now the proud owner of the recipe for Butterfinger Bars, and can now transport myself back to elementary school whenever I want!

I made these this morning and found that due to my altitude I needed to make a few adjustments. So, here is the recipe, worked for a 6,000+ altitude. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Cream
3/4 cup butter softened
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar

Mix in
1 tsp soda
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Add
1 3/4 cup flour
2 cups quick oats.

Spread into greased 11x17 bar pan. Bake at 350* for 12-17 minutes or until light brown (don't over bake).
Watch these carefully. For lower altitudes, bake at 325* for 10 – 15 minutes. When baked at 325* at a higher altitude, these take 22+ minutes. Take them out when they are light brown and puffy - just past the stage when you aren't sure if they are really done or not.

Spread
½- 1 c. peanut butter over top while still hot.

Let cool.
Spread with chocolate frosting.

Chocolate Frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tea vanilla
1/2 cup butter softened
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp cocoa

Mix all ingredients until smooth and creamy adding milk as needed for spreading consistency.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment