If I were naming this recipe, it would be called "Thursday Cake" since I craved chocolate cake on Thursdays during one of my pregnancies. Somehow, my friends always showed up to satiate their chocolate fix on Thursdays as well. While I found these recipes on my box of Hershey's Cocoa powder, there are a few slight changes I make when using these recipes. In lieu of the oil, I substitute unsweetened applesauce, or I use 1/4 c. oil and 1/4 c. chia gel. I've also found that using 1/2 wheat flour also works well.
I also add cinnamon and cayenne pepper to deepen and bring out the rich chocolate flavor. Finally, I add a pinch of salt to the frosting to bring out the chocolate flavor.
* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil *(or 1/4 c. oil & 1/4 c. chia gel)
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 cup boiling water
* pinch cinnamon
* pinch cayenne pepper
* "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING(recipe follows)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in large bowl (the cinnamon and cayenne pepper add depth and bring out the chocolate flavor). Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
*Chia gel is made by adding 1/3 c. chia seeds to 2 c. water. Let sit 15-20 minutes until gel forms. Use as fat substitute.
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.