Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Easy Fudge



As a kid, I was involved with a summer home economics entrepreneurial  program.  We made foods, and then tried to sell them. As we tried to brainstorm about what to make, one of the kids in our group suggested fudge.  I thought it was a marvelous idea - who doesn't love chocolate or fudge?  We stirred it and stirred it until the gloss lost it's luster, and set it out on paper plates for sale.

The whole class set up in front of the local KMART on a very hot summer morning.  Shortly thereafter, our fudge began to melt. I don't think we made a dime.  The kids next to us with the lame snow cone machine made a fortune though!

The moral of the story is that I've been afraid of fudge ever since.  No matter how easy people tell me it is, it never seems to be.

Things have finally changed.  This week I bought marshmallows (the cheap generic kind because they were on sale) to make rice krispy treats for my kid's class.  On the back of the marshmallow package, I found a recipe for 'Easy Fudge'.  So I figured I'd give it a try (I seem to try a new recipe at least once a year and am always disappointed) and enlisted my daughter's help.  It turned out great!

Hallelujah!  I've finally found a great fudge recipe that IS easy, and turns out great.  Thank heavens for recipes on generic marshmallow bags!

Here it is for any fudge challenged people out there (and my future posterity)

2 T. Butter
2/3 c. evaporated milk (5.33 oz)
1 3/4 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt (if using salted butter, I only add a couple of dashes of salt)
2 1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chipes
1 c. chopped walnuts, or nuts
1 t. vanilla

Combine butter, milk, sugar and salt in medium saucepan; bring to boil over medium heat.

Boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring.
Remove from heat; stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips, nuts and vanilla.

Stir vigorously until chocolate chips and marshmallows are melted.

Pour into foil lined or buttered 8" square baking pan.
Sprinkle with additional nuts if desired.

Chill until firm.

Makes approx. 2 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment