Friday, May 20, 2011

Southern Scramble - with Grits

My husband and I recently spent some time in South Carolina.  There we tried a myriad of foods.  Among them, fried pickles, fried okra, sweet potato french fries, sweet potato souffle, hash, ribs, barbecue (how could you visit the south without ribs or barbecue?), and my favorite GRITS.   
Honestly, several years ago I thought I'd try my hand at grits and had a disastrous experience with them.  We all thought they were pretty gross.

For some unknown reason, I put the box in the pantry and forgot about them.
When we returned from SC, I pulled out the box determined to figure out how to make these the right way since I'd enjoyed them so much.

Here's a recipe I found on the back of the box, that I just happened to have ingredients for on hand.

1.5 c. water
1/2 c. Quaker Quick Grits, uncooked
1 T. margarine or butter
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
6 beaten eggs
1 c. cubed ham
2 T. sliced green onions (or whatever is on hand)
1/2 t. salt (optional)
1/8 t. pepper

In large skillet, bring water to a boil, and slowly stir in grits.  Reduce heat and simmer 3-5 minutes, or until thickened - stirring frequently. 

Stir in margarine. 

Combine 1/2 c. cheese with remaining ingredients; mix well. 

Pour into grits, stir lightly. 

Cook over medium heat until eggs are soft set and cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. 

Sprinkle with remaining cheese. 

Note - Once grits and egg mixture are combined, do no over mix.  

Serves 6

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment