Thursday, June 27, 2013

Superfood summer smoothie

I love smoothies.  And, while I've experimented with smoothies over the years (believe me, I've had to drink a lot of them on my own) - this is the smoothie that my kids get the most excited about.  
I love that it is made from simple ingredients.  Spinach, blueberries, strawberries, bananas and soy milk.  
The blueberries, spinach, and chia lend their "SUPERFOOD" powers to it,  and it is a great way to get some fruits and veggies into my family first thing in the morning.  
  

1.5 cups frozen blueberries
3/4 - 1 cup frozen spinach
6 fresh strawberries (frozen can be used)
 1 frozen banana
3-4 cups soy milk (or any other milk on hand)
1 T. agave nectar or sweetener of your choice
1 TBSP. chia seeds
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Combine in blender and blend until smooth.  Add milk or ice as needed to adjust for desired consistency.  

A few tips:   
I love to use fresh spinach, but it always gets too slimy in my fridge.  To alleviate this, I buy large bags of spinach (Costco carries a very large inexpensive one) and sort  it into sandwich baggies and then freeze it. 
Bananas do two things at our house.  Get eaten immediately, or go brown. 
I have started freezing ripe bananas, and just grab one to throw into the smoothie.  
I use a knife to peel it (frozen) and it works great. 

I find that if I use frozen ingredients, I don't need to bother adding any ice to the smoothie.  If I don't use frozen ingredients - it needs approx. 2 cups of ice. 

I add cinnamon and nutmeg because of their amazing health properties - google them, you'll see!


Serves 4, and each serving has approx. 160 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment