Friday, April 25, 2014

Kale and Quinoa Asian Style Soup

Here's my twist on an Asian style soup I tried yesterday. I loved the use of kale and quinoa, and especially my kid's reactions - they LOVED it (and they don't like kale or quinoa)! Even my pickiest had seconds, and asked that I make it again, and my youngest requested this broth next time she is sick. 
This soup was incredibly filling.  Halfway through the bowl we were all surprisingly full.   
The original recipe called for tofu - yet, no matter how it is served, I just can't love tofu (or eggplant, but that's another story).  As such, I've adapted this recipe to fit my family's tastes - and it definitely isn't vegetarian.  Healthy, filling, simple. Family friendly. Check!

1.5 c. cubed or shredded cooked chicken 
1 T. olive oil
1 large onion - chopped
4 carrots - chopped
4 large garlic cloves - minced
1 T. turmeric (I used fresh, and grated it - careful, it stains)
1/4 c. dried mushrooms, broken into bite size pieces (optional)
1/2 c. dry quinoa
2 c. chicken broth or vegetable broth
4 c. boiling water
(OR 1 quart boiling water, and 3 T. Knorr chicken soup bouillon instead of the broth and water
1 bunch kale, leaves only, chopped)
2.5 T. miso
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 chopped scallions - green and white
Chopped avocado - optional 

Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed sauce pan.  Add carrots and onion, and saute until tender.  Add garlic and turmeric and stir to combine, then add quinoa and bouillon (if using), and mushrooms, and cook for three minutes, stirring constantly.  Add chicken, and boiling water, and cover with a lid and allow to cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Add kale.  Cook until tender - approximately 3 minutes, then remove from heat and mix in miso.  Mix well so that miso disolves properly. 

Garnish with red peppers, avocado, and scallions and serve immediately.    


  





No comments:

Post a Comment