Thursday, December 21, 2017

2 minute Good (not your momma's gluey) oatmeal

                       Here's a super quick, easy, and delicious way to add some oatmeal to your life.
                                                   
I grew up on oatmeal, and hated (insert many other strong words here) oatmeal. And some people in our house used to save and freeze the leftovers and serve them up later in the week too (bless them for trying to save a penny, but it put me off of oatmeal for years).
Then, several years later, I was at a friend's house and she was headed out the door and said, "just grab some oatmeal for breakfast." She was a tough fire fighting, plane jumping chick, and I was amazed she would eat oatmeal every day. I saw a canister of oats on her counter and was puzzled. I asked how she usually made it, and she shared the following recipe with me.

And if you've never liked oatmeal-you just might like this. I like the 2 minutes and 30 seconds bit.
Pay attention here-its pretty slick.

1 handful oats. (I buy the double box of Quaker oats at Costco-they aren't blended and broken down to bits already)
                                                 
By the way, my handful is approx 1/2 cup. The quantity doesn't matter, but that's the perfect amount that fills me and isn't too much.

Place oats into a microwaveable bowl.
Cover with water, then add 1/8-1/4" more. So it's just over the top.
                                                 


Microwave for 2 minutes.
While it is cooking, crush some nuts, get out some fruit, sweetener (if you need it - I like maple syrup) and a dash of salt.

I like blueberries or raisins usually. Sometimes I add a little nutmeg or cinnamon.

Another option is to smash up one banana in the bottom of a bowl. Add a handful of oats and mix in. Add enough water to cover plus 1/4". Microwave for 2 minutes. Add walnuts and cinnamon and it tastes like banana bread or a muffin.

So many options... And only 2 1/2 minutes!
                                                

We use plastic cups to send this out the door with our kids in the mornings too!



No comments:

Post a Comment