Thursday, September 24, 2009

Apple Pie or Apple Crisp

 

My sister in law sent me this recipe yesterday with some rave reviews. She's a cook that I generally trust, and since we had some dinner guests, I decided to try it.
It was indeed very yummy, and yet, very remniscent of my french apple pie recipe.
While there are some amazing things about this pie that I love, I think my french apple pie recipe tops it. However, if I billed this under Apple Crisp, it is the best apple crisp I may have ever had (yes, I know - it is all semantics):)

The main differences are as follows:
The french apple pie apples are pre-cooked, which for me, results in a better consistency.

This recipe's struesel topping inclues oatmeal, while pecans and caramel sauce are sprinkled/drizzled over the hot pie. LOVE that twist!

While I served this pie hot, I had a tough time getting it out of the pie plate in single pieces - (it may be different cooled).

No matter what you call it - this is a great recipe that is definitely worth trying!

1- 9" pie crust
1/2 C sugar
3 T flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups of thinly sliced, peeled apples
1 recipe crumb topping (see below)
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/4 C caramel

Crumb topping:
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C flour
1/2 C quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 C butter

Directions for crumb topping:
1. Stir together brown sugar, flour, oats
2. Cut in butter until topping is like course crumbs. Set aside.

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt
2. Add apples and gently toss until coated.
3. Transfer apple mixture to pie shell.
4. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture
5. Place pie on cookie sheet so the drippings don't drop all over your oven.
6. Cover edges of pie with foil.
7. Bake in a pre-heated 375 oven for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and put back in the oven for another 25-30 minutes without the foil.
8. Remove from oven. Sprinkle pie with pecans and then drizzle caramel on top.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment