Friday, October 15, 2010

Butternut Squash Pancakes

I know - it sounds pretty yucky doesn't it?  I promise it isn't.  I made these for breakfast yesterday and my husband commented on how much moistness the squash lends to the pancakes.  High praise indeed!

I love using pureed squash and pumpkin in my pancakes for several reasons.  First, because I am able to sneak more vitamins and a vegetable serving into my kid's breakfast, and because it adds a great moistness and is virtually undetectable.

On a busy morning, I use a general pancake mix.  
In the freezer, I've frozen 1 - 2 cup baggies of squash or pumpkin puree.  This can be microwaved and mostly thawed within 1-2 minutes (or set it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw).  

Add approximately 1 cup of the puree to prepared pancake batter, and mix in 1/2 t. cinnamon.
Cook like normal pancakes and see if you can tell the difference!

Yep - healthy pancakes.  Even better with wheat flour.    

No comments:

Post a Comment