Monday, January 24, 2011

Flaky Baking Powder Biscuits

I decided to make my family some baking powder biscuits for breakfast this morning. I did a quick internet search and looked over several different recipes. This one came from the Food Network. I didn't have the luxury of time, so I made a few alterations and used my mixer.  My kids LOVED the results.
This works so well in a Bosch mixer - I can't say enough good about mine. The original recipe is made by hand, but a mixer makes these so much quicker, and the lid on my Bosch kept everything inside the bowl. If using a mixer, be very careful not to overmix as that will produce 'hockey pucks'. I understand that it is a 'gluten thing'.



2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
7 T cold unsalted butter, sliced
3/4 c. milk

Pre-heat oven to 450*, and place rack in the center of the oven.

Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in mixer until evenly combined.
Add butter slices and mix until butter slices are broken into small pea sized pieces.

Slowly add milk and mix (very briefly) until mixture makes a very loose dough.

Turn out onto a well floured surface, and pat into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
Fold the dough into thirds like a business letter (I totally skipped this part)
Pat into a 5x8 inch rectangle about 3/4 inch thick.
Use a 2-3 inch round cutter (or drinking glass top) to make 6 biscuits. Place them on prepared sheet. Press scraps of dough together and make 2-3 more biscuits, and place on baking sheet.

Bake until lightly browned - about 15 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: