Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Sauerkraut

Yes, I did say Sauerkraut. 
Who knew you could make this stuff? 
We've been on a bit of a pro-biotic kick lately, and honestly I was scared to make this, but it was one of the easiest recipes ever.  Really.  Three ingredients and 15 minutes (and 3-10 days).


1 head cabbage (about 3 pounds).  Wash & trim it.  Then cut into wedges, and then cut into very thin ribbon like slices.
Place in a large bowl. 
Cabbage at beginning of kneading process
note the liquid in bottom of bowl
Sprinkle 1.5 Tablespoons of coarse sea salt over cabbage.

Begin to knead the cabbage, squeezing any juice from it.  This will take approximately 5-10 minutes. Add 1/2 t. caraway seeds for flavor if desired (I loved the caraway).

The cabbage will change and begin to appear wilted. It will also become rather juicy.  At this point, pack it into a clean quart jar (or two).  Pour any juice into jar and tamp down to remove any air pockets.
Cover with a thin piece of material and a rubber band, and place in a dish, in a cool, dark area and wait for the fermentation to begin.
Check it in 3 days, and depending on strength and preference, between 3-10 days remove it, place a jar lid on it, and refrigerate it.  
I forgot to add my caraway earlier - don't do that!
Ready to begin fermenting...
We ate it on hot dogs tonight. I'm not a fan of those things, but tonight - I was pretty darn impressed with my hot dog...the sauerkraut was pretty amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment