Friday, May 12, 2017

Marinara all purpose sauce - vegan, whole food/plant based, no oil

I came across a recipe for marinara at brandnewvegan.com which I really liked....with a few tweaks of my own. My family devours this - as in, none left for my lunch the next day! This is vegan, plant based with no oils or processed sugars. And...this handy sauce can be used for a pizza sauce, a dipping sauce, lasagna, spaghetti, served over rice or other grains...so many possibilities!


Marinara
1 medium onion - chopped
1 medium red, orange, or yellow bell pepper - chopped
5 mushrooms - sliced
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart canned tomatoes, or equivalent (reserve juice)
1 six oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 Tablespoon basil
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste - optional)
black pepper - to taste, optional

Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add oregano, paprika & basil (if using dried spices) and toast lightly, stirring constantly. Add fresh veggies and red wine vinegar. Saute until softened. Add water if needed to keep ingredients from sticking. 
Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Use a potato masher to break tomatoes down to desired chunkiness if needed
. Season to taste. 
Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Add reserved tomato juice or water to thin if needed, or blend if a thinner consistency is desired. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow,M! I am beyond thrilled to find all your plant based recipes! You have many ones that are quite similar to some of my favorites. I make a "vegan" Bolognese (can't spell that) sort of like this one. My recipe has finely chopped walnuts, mushrooms, and cooked lentils that lend it that "meaty" mouth feel.

    ReplyDelete