Thursday, November 19, 2009

Canned Tomatoes

Every time I set out to make tomatoes, I have to hunt down my recipe - which is ironic because the only thing I need the recipe for is to remember how much lemon juice, salt and sugar I need! Since it frosted in September, I picked all of my green tomatoes (and the little baby ones) and placed them in my garage to ripen. Today I may have finished my last batch! I'll post a photo once they come out of the canner.


Here's my basic recipe:
Tomatoes
Jars
Lids
Lemon juice
Salt
Sugar


Place tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds or until the skins split. Immediately dip into cold water. Use sharp knife to cut out the stem and peel off the skin. Cut off any discolored or bruised portions.

Pack into warm sterile quart jars.
Add 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar to each jar. Add boiling water, filling within a 1/2 inch of the top of the jar. Insert a non-metalic instrument, (ie. wooden spoon handle etc.) between the tomatoes and the jar to release any air bubbles.

Wipe the jar rim with a clean damp paper towel.

Place heated lid and ring on jar, screwing on until fingertip tight.

Process for 60 minutes in boiling water bath, or 15 minutes in pressure canner with 15 lbs weight (high altitude times and weight).

Remove from water and cool for 12-24 hours on towel on counter before moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment