Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Yamples or Yams and Apples


This recipe also came from my sister in law, but we re-named it from Yams and Apples to "Yamples". I grew up as a die hard candied yam girl. Just didn't want them any other way. A couple of years ago however, my sister in law made these for Thanksgiving and I became converted. No more candied yams for me - these babies are the best! I think the sauce was the final factor in my conversion. I can't wait until Thanksgiving!

5 small to medium sized yams (or 2 cans)
5-7 apples
Butter
Cinnamon

Cook yams until tender (in boiling water). Cool and peel, and then slice. Peel and slice apples into 1/4" wedges. Place one layer of yams into a 9x13 baking dish, then dot with butter. Add a layer of apples, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Continue layering until all yams and apples have been used.

Sauce:
1 c. sugar or honey
2 c. water
1/2 c. butter
3 T. cornstarch
1 t. salt (optional - but I think you need it)

Mix ingredients together in medium sized pan and heat and stir until bubbly and thickened. Pour over the top of the yams and bake for 45 minutes at 350*.

No comments:

Post a Comment