Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pico de Gallo

I really should be fired.

My sister asked me for a salsa recipe. She wanted one to can.
Fortunately, my friend makes salsa for me - in trade for my wheat bread. As such, I don't make salsa because his is amazing and he won't give me the recipe.

I do however make Pico De Gallo. Often. Very Often. I love the stuff - I could eat it by the gallon. I was horrified to discover that my blog was missing this recipe.



Once again, this is an 'un-scientific' recipe - meaning that I developed this recipe to perfection - according to my taste. Add more or less to suit your taste.


1 c. diced tomatoes
1 c. diced onion (white or yellow)
1 c. chopped cilantro
approx. 1/3 c. key lime juice
cumin
coarse salt

Optional: 1 - 4 finely chopped jalapeƱos (depending on how much heat you want)

Mix tomatoes, cilantro, and onion together in a bowl.
Add enough key lime juice (either from a bottle or freshly squeezed) to fill the bottom of the bowl approx. 1/4 inch from the bottom.
Add cumin and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly.


* Key limes are a MUST. They have a very distinctive flavor which is key to this recipe. (They look like mini limes.)

**This pico de gallo is fantastic on black beans, eggs, or with rice. It adds a great flavor boost to just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment