Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chocolate Eclairs

My grandma used to make eclairs for special occasions. I begged her to make these for my wedding reception - which she willingly did. I should have just asked her to make me a lifetime supply, forget the guests! I love these babies. Really, they are the same thing as cream puffs, solely differing in shape.

I was running through some old photos and realized I made these, took photos, and then forgot to post the recipe. I've tried several recipes, and found that the following from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook is my favorite.
 
Posted by Picasa


1 c. water
1/2 c. butter
1/8 t. salt
1 c. flour
4 eggs
Whipped cream, pudding, or ice cream for filling
Chocolate glaze

In a medium saucepan combine water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir till mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition.

Spoon dough into a decorating bag fitted with a large plain round tip (1/2 inch opening). Pipe 12 strips of dough, 3 inches apart, onto a greased baking sheet, making each strip 4 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 3/4 inch high. Bake at 400* for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

*Cream Puffs variation - Drop dough by 12 heaping tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet. Bake as above.

Fill with whipped cream or pudding and frost with chocolate glaze. I recommend a vanilla pudding filling.

Chocolate Glaze
4 oz. semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
3 T. butter or margarine
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
dash of salt
3 T. hot water

Melt chocolate, and butter/margarine over low heat stirring frequently.
Remove from heat. Stir in sifted powdered sugar and hot water. Stir in additional hot water, if needed to reach drizzling consistency.

Spoon/drizzle over eclairs or cream puffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment