Friday, April 16, 2010

Grandma J's Congo Bars


My grandmother used to make these in mass quantities and store them in #10 cans with a slice of bread for freshness. We knew that we would always get a cookie before we left to go back home.
I used mostly butterscotch chips in this batch since I was mostly out of chocolate chips. Thanks to my mom for navigating the computer to send me her recipe!

Cream together
2/3 c. cooking oil, butter, or crisco
2 c. brown sugar

Add
3 beaten eggs

Mix, then add
1 t. vanilla
1/4 c. water

Combine and add to liquid mixture
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. salt
2 1/2 t. baking powder

Finally, add
1 c. chopped nuts
1 c. chocolate chips/butterscotch chips etc.

Spread into 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 375* until golden brown - approx. 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment