Friday, September 3, 2010

Peach Pie with lattice top crust

I was looking through the camera roll on my husband's phone this evening and realized that I forgot to post this recent recipe.

 


This week I have been canning peaches. Lots and lots of them. It took 12 hours and I ended up with 45 quarts of peaches and 15 pints of jelly made from the bruised peach parts and the skins.

On top of the canning, my kids started school on Wednesday. In honor of having a quiet house and some time to do whatever I wanted, I decided to make a peach pie. Now, I really haven't ever made one, and I couldn't be bothered to go and actually research and look up a recipe. I figured it couldn't be very hard (it wasn't) and here's what I came up with. This was also my first lattice pie crust - which I really liked. My pie dough was already prepared in the freezer, so the preparation for this pie was no more than 20 minutes total.

6-8 peaches, washed, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 - 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 dashes ground nutmeg
1 splash lemon juice
flour
butter

dough for top and bottom pie crust
cinnamon sugar mixture

Preheat oven to 350* F.
Roll out bottom crust and place in pie plate.
Lightly sprinkle flour over bottom of crust to prevent sogginess.

Place sliced peaches into a bowl and add 1/4 c. flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Gently toss. Add a splash of lemon juice.

Pour mixture into pie crust, and dot with butter if desired.

Sprinkle flour over working area of counter top, and roll the rolling pin through the flour to coat. Roll out the remaining pie crust to 1/8 inch thin. Using rotary slicer/cutting wheel, or a pizza slicer, slice into 1/2 inch strips.

Carefully arrange the strips at half inch intervals horizontally across the pie, floured (flour from the counter) side up, pressing one end of each strip into the left pie crust edge. Once all of the strips have been placed horizontally, press a strip of pie crust dough at the bottom of the left pie crust edge, and gently lattice this strip with the horizontal strips in an over/under pattern until the opposite side is reached. Continue this vertical pattern, at 1/2 inch intervals, alternating each strip over/under beginning point.

Press vertical strips into the pie dough crust at the top of the pie when finished. Trim and flute edges of pie crust.

If desired (for a shinier and prettier pie), wet ring finger in milk and lightly moisten each lattice strip. If lattice strips don't stick well at edges, moisten with milk.

Sprinkle with a light dusting of cinnamon sugar.

Bake at 350* for one hour.

Best served with vanilla ice cream.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment