Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup 2


I try to make my weekly or monthly menu in advance - then each week I can just see what I'll need to shop for, and I shop accordingly.  It saves lots of money and time in that I don't have to go to the store very often, and if I do see something on sale that I'll be needing later in the month, I can stock up in advance.  If I'm not around, my husband can also consult the menu and begin cooking - knowing that everything is on hand.  (While it sounds like I'm really organized, don't be fooled) 

Tuesday around 4:00 pm I glanced at my menu and saw that I should be making Chicken Tortilla Soup.  I must have had a cookbook in hand when I put that on the menu since I've never made it before.  I decided to check out some on-line recipes and found this one at the Pioneer Woman's blog.  She's got some great recipes, and I love her photos.  
The down-side was that this took more than 30 minutes to prepare, and I hadn't realized the time requirements.  As such, I got to try this out the next day. 
One of my kids commented "it was better than I expected" (she doesn't like latin, or tex mexi types of foods) so this was high praise (I'll take it where ever I can get it - praise that is).  The rest of us loved it, and it was definitely worth the time it took to make.  Here's the recipe with a few adaptations.
This recipes works great with a crock pot.   

  


Heat oven to 375* degrees F.
Cut 3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts into smaller chunks (3"x2" maybe)
Drizzle both sides of chicken with 1 T. olive oil.
Combine 1 1/2 t. cumin, 1 t. chili powder, 1/2 t. garlic powder & 1/2 t. salt
Sprinkle spices mixture over chicken (both sides) and place in oven dish.
Save remaining spice mixture.
Cover chicken with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. 


While the chicken bakes, dice the following:
1 c. onion, 1/2 -1 c. red, green or yellow bell pepper (or any combination thereof), 3 garlic cloves

Sauté diced vegetables in 1 T.olive oil over high heat.



Add any remaining spice mix (from the chicken). 
Stir to combine, then add 1 quart bottled tomatoes & juices
 (OR 1 (10 oz. can) Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chiles), 
32 oz. Low Sodium Chicken Stock,
1 quart (4 c.) hot water,
2 (15 oz. cans) black beans, drained,
1/4 - 1/2 c. chopped green chilies (if not using Rotel).  

Note - 3 T. tomato paste may be added to this mixture if desired. 

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, and allow to simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. 

Once chicken is done baking, shred using two forks, and add to simmering mixture.  


Mix 3 T. cornmeal or Masa (corn tortilla flour found in the flour section at most grocery stores, or in the mexican food aisles) with 1/3 c. water (more or less as needed) until it reaches a very thick liquid state, then mix into the soup.  


Continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
OR place in crockpot on low and allow to simmer as needed.  
Check seasonings, adding more if needed, and be sure not to under salt.  

Remove from heat, and allow to sit for 15 - 20 minutes before serving.
5 minutes prior to serving, slice 5-8 corn tortillas into strips and gently stir into soup.  

Serve topped with sour cream, key limes, diced red onion, diced avocado, grated cheese, fried tortilla strips, and pico de gallo (equal amounts of chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, mixed with key lime juice, and seasoned with cumin and salt)


Heat oven to 375* degrees F.
3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into smaller chunks (3"x2" maybe)
(Rotisserie/deli chicken can be used to speed up the time requirements)
1 T. olive oil.
1 1/2 t. cumin, 1 t. chili powder, 1/2 t. garlic powder & 1/2 t. salt
1 c. onion, 1/2 -1 c. red, green or yellow bell pepper (or any combination thereof), 3 garlic cloves - diced
1 quart tomatoes OR 1 (10 oz. can) Rotel tomatoes with Green chiles
1/4 - 1/2 c. chopped green chiles (if Rotel is not used)
2 (15 oz.) cans Black beans, drained
32 oz. chicken stock/broth
4 c. hot water
3 T. cornmeal or masa corn tortilla  mix
5-8 whole corn tortillas, cut into strips

Toppings
Sour Cream 
Avocado
Red Onion
Pico de gallo
Grated cheese
Key Lime (to juice over soup)
Cilantro
Tomatoes
Tortilla Strips


Drizzle olive oil over both sides of chicken, and sprinkle with spices. 
Place in a baking dish. Save remaining spice mixture.Cover chicken with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. 
While the chicken bakes, dice the vegetables, then sauté in olive oil over high heat.  
Add tomatoes/Rotel, chicken broth, water, black beans, green chilies. 
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered. 

When chicken is thoroughly cooked, shred with a fork and add to the soup mixture. 
Add masa/cornmeal to 1/3 c. water and mix until a thick liquid forms, then mix in to soup.  
Continue to cook for 30 more minutes, or place in a crock pot on low for several hours. 

Remove from heat 15-20 minutes before serving. 
5 minutes before serving add corn tortilla strips

Top with desired toppings. 

1 comment:

  1. This is yummy! MaryAnn served this to my family last night for dinner and it was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete