Monday, March 28, 2011

Faux buffalo hot wings

I wish my wings had looked like this: 

They didn't.  But, they tasted almost like it (except for the deep fried crunchy skin, and little bitty bones).   I fell in love with wings a couple of years ago when a JR Crickets opened near our home.  I was then devastated when they went out of business because I couldn't single handedly keep them in business - I tried though, I really did! 

I've been in wing mourning ever since. 

We were craving wings last weekend, and I decided to see what I could come up with.  Unfortunately, since I so rarely make wings, the wings in my freezer were old, gross, and frostbitten.  But we wanted wings!  
I decided to improvise and came up with a healthy 'ish' alternative.  Faux wings.  Here's the recipe - which I mostly snagged from Frank's Hot Sauce web page...I just changed the meat medium. 
(My camera is sort of on the fritz right now, so I only got the photo of the un-cooked faux wings)

Cut 7 -10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs into wing sized chunks and place on a foil lined pan on the bottom rack of an oven - preheated to 500* (that's not a typo)
Bake for 15-20 minutes, then remove and turn over once.
Bake for an additional 15-20 more minutes until thoroughly cooked.
Place in a bowl and toss to coat with Frank's Buffalo Hot Sauce.
Adjust amount according to taste.
Serve with chunky bleu cheese dressing (homemade is best)

At my old wing place mild, medium, & hot were solely determined by the amount of hot sauce added.


No comments:

Post a Comment