Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fresh Pineapple Juice - Guatemalan style

I lived in Guatemala for 17 months while I worked as a missionary for my church.
I loved spending time with the people there, as they opened their homes and hearts to us, and we shared many beautiful moments together.
I loved all of the fresh fruits there, and especially loved this pineapple juice we often had.
My husband and I went back to visit a few years ago, and a dear friend taught me how to prepare this delicious drink that is so refreshing on a hot summer day.




We often buy fresh pineapples and after we cut off the peels and core - toss them.
This recipe offers another way to use the entire pineapple - without wasting anything.

After peeling and coring a pineapple, set the strips of the peel and core into a pot.
Cover with water and bring to a boil, then let simmer for an hour (or more - depending on your timeframe) - keeping it covered with water.
Remove from heat, and allow to cool on stovetop, or cover and place in the fridge for another hour or two - or even overnight.
Place a strainer or seive over a pitcher, and strain to collect all of the juices.



Discard the peels and core

Add 1-2 cups of sugar (to taste)
Add 2 or more quarts of water or ice
 This is all to taste~it should be lightly sweet, but not overpowering, and not too watery.
Mix thoroughly until sugar is completely disolved.




Serve chilled, or pour over ice
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment