Monday, March 26, 2012

Rich and Decadent Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes


Oh Boy!
Warm, rich, chocolatey, gooey, and did I mention decadent?
You could seriously hurt yourself on these things.



I have a friend who is finishing up cooking school, and I stopped by her house to visit last night. She told me about the molten lava cakes she’d made earlier that day and showed me the recipe.

I’ve been wanting to try these for a while, and had even just bought ramekins for them.  I was thrilled to have her share her recipe with me - definitely tried and tested!

These are so easy that I was able to memorize the essentials since I didn't write it down.  My family LOVED them.  And the best part is that they are simple, quick and easy, yet they seem so elegant, and like you've been slaving in the kitchen.
Just remember 6, 6, ¼, 2, 1.  That’s it.

Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes - 4 servings
6 oz chocolate squares (the higher percentage of cocoa butter, the better) 
6 T. unsalted butter
¼  C. sugar
2 Eggs – lightly beaten
1 T. flour

Place chocolate, butter and sugar in a double boiler, and allow to melt.  Once chocolate and butter have melted, stir until thoroughly mixed. 

Remove from double boiler – allow a few minutes to cool, then beat eggs into chocolate mixture – taking care to mix quickly so that the eggs don’t cook. 

Add flour, and spoon batter into 4 ramekins that have been sprayed with a cooking spray. 

Bake in 400* oven for 12-14 minutes depending on your oven (mine took 14, but my friend said 12).  If they over cook, the molten lava center will be cooked and it will turn into a small cake or large brownie.  Time may be adjusted for desired thickness of lava.  Less time = more liquid, more time = less liquid center.  
You can see in the following photo that the center doesn't look 'quite set'.  

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Invert onto serving dish and serve immediately. 

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or serve with a chocolate sauce, ganache, or fresh raspberries/fruit.










Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment