Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

I found this recipe on Rachel Berry's blog and they turned out really great.  Other than my pumpkin spice rolls, every cinnamon roll recipe I've tried has been somewhat disappointing.  Happy to finally have a staple cinnamon roll recipe - thanks Rachel!

While I've kept the ingredients the same, I made a few alterations to the combination and mixture process to  speed up the process (since I'm such a patient girl).
My daughter (and toughest critic) couldn't believe that I didn't buy the pastry part - and she recommended that I open up a cafe to serve these (even though cinnamon rolls aren't her favorite - love that kid!)


My photo is the naked/unfrosted version.  Once I got them frosted, they flew off the plate! 
Cinnamon Rolls

2 C. boiling Water
1/2 C. brown Sugar
1 C. butter or margarine
1/4 C. white sugar

2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 c. warm water
pinch of sugar

2 eggs slightly beaten
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
7 C. flour 


Boil water.  Add butter to boiling water and let sit to melt for a few minutes.  
While butter melts, in a small bowl bowl mix yeast, water, and a pinch of sugar and allow to proof for 5-10 minutes. 

Add sugar to butter/water and mix, then add 2 c. flour, one cup at a time to cool down mixture. Once mixture has cooled down (should be warm, but not hot), add eggs, baking powder, and salt, and then yeast mixture. Add 5 more cups of flour, mix thoroughly, cover and set aside to rise. 

  Carefully put raised dough on Oiled or floured surface and using rolling pin, roll out to 1/4" thick.  Brush dough with melted butter, and liberally sprinkle with brown sugar, making sure to cover the entire surface.Sprinkle cinnamon over entire surface. 
Roll tightly, and cut into 2" rolls. (I use dental floss for a clean cut) 
Place on a greased cookie sheet. 
 Cover with saran wrap that's been sprayed with cooking spray, and let rise.  
Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes.
Makes 24-30 rolls

Optional - nuts and raisins can be added to the cinnamon and sugar layer if desired.

Frosting:
3/4 C. Soft butter
3 C. Powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
Pinch of Salt
1-2 Tbsp. Milk

Mix well with electric mixer - it should be thick and creamy.

*Rachel noted that refrigerating this dough beforehand (ie overnight) isn't as effective. 
 Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment