Thursday, March 5, 2009

Cranberry Granola Power Bars

My husband is a runner and is preparing for a big race. As we've discussed different strategies for feeling good both during and after the race, I spent some time looking at different recipes for gels, goos, and gus. Interesting reading at least.
In my quest, I did find a recipe that piqued my interest on myonlinegourmet.com. Actually, I couldn't find the actual recipe on their site, but I found a video on YouTube that I was interested in.

I took their recipe and modified it and here's what I came up with.

1 1/2-2 c. walnuts
1 c. raw almonds
3 c. oatmeal
1/4 c. ground wheat or wheat germ

Place nuts in a plastic bag and break into pieces (with rolling pin)
Mix oats, nuts, and wheat in baking dish and bake in 350* oven for 20 minutes (stirring frequently lest it burn)

Meanwhile, combine the following ingredients:
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg white
1 scoop gatorade powder (lemon-lime)
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
2 T. butter

Mix together and THEN turn on the heat stirring constantly (careful that the egg white doesn't cook.) After mixture reaches a boil, continue to stir and cook for an additional 30 seconds, then remove from heat.

Remove oat/nut mixture from oven and pour into large bowl. Add cooked liquid mixture and 1 c. dried cranberries and mix with a wooden spoon. Pour into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper. Using another sheet of parchment paper spread out and press down, compacting the mixture. Allow to cool for 2 hours, cut into bars.

2 comments:

  1. so do the oats go in with the nuts or go in when the wheat does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - oats, nuts, and wheat all go in together to be toasted.

    ReplyDelete