Monday, March 30, 2009

My Favorite Chili



Several years ago I discovered that I could make Chili. It just sort of dawned on me. I've played with this recipe over the years, and the following is our favorite. We love to come home from church and find this waiting for us on a chilly day. Note that some of the portions may be approximate as I don't generally measure - I go mostly by taste.

1 lb. ground beef or sausage, browned with grease drained off
1 quart bottled tomatoes (or equivalent)
1 can kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1 can northern beans OR black beans
1 can corn
1/2 chopped onion
1 minced garlic clove
1/4 c. A1 steak sauce
1-2 t. liquid smoke
1 t. Worcester sauce
1-2 beef bouillon cubes
1-3 T. Chili powder (to taste)
1-3 T. Cumin (to taste) (I consider the cumin the most important ingredient)

Do not drain beans or corn. Combine all ingredients into a slow cooker, and add one can of water. Cook for 3-5 hours in the slow cooker or crock pot.

To serve, sprinkle with diced onions, grated cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment