Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Marilyn's Rhubarb Coffee Cake



One of my husband's co-workers has been bringing this into the office for the past couple of years. My husband surprised me by asking for this recipe and bringing it home for me. While she titled it a bread and used bread pans, I made it in a 9 x 13 and call it a coffee cake.

1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. oil
1 egg
1 c. buttermilk (or sour milk)
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
1 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. diced rhubarb
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. soft butter
Optional: Cinnamon

Combine brown sugar and oil. Add egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat well. Stir together dry ingredients and stir into sugar mixture. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans or 9 x 13 baking dish. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top.
Bake for about 40-50 minutes at *350. Remove from pans and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment