Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tres Leches Cake



I spent this morning at my friend Cristina's house learning to make a Mexican tres leches cake. Another friend, Lauren is also lending me a copy of her Guatemalan tres leches recipe that I'll post once I get.

While I was surprised at the flour Cristina used, yet the end result was much lighter and fluffier than tres leche cakes I've had in the past. I'm excited to try out some of her other recipes and get them up here soon too.

Cake:
4 eggs separated
3 c. Krusteaz pancake mix (or regular flour)
1 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 T. baking powder (use 1 t. extra for flour)
2 t. vanilla
1 c. milk

Topping:
1 c. milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Whipping cream
Powdered sugar

Separate the eggs and beat the whites to soft peaks. Add the yolks and beat until fluffy. Slowly incorporate flour and baking powder, alternating with milk. Add sugar, butter, and vanilla.
Here's how the batter should look


Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake at 350* for 40 minutes.

Once baked, cut a thin layer from the top to allow cake to absorb the milk mixture. Mix the three milks and pour over the top of the cake. Cake will absorb the milk mixture as it cools.

Once cooled, beat whipping cream to medium peak stage and add powdered sugar to sweeten (according to taste.) Cover cake with whipping cream and decorate with fresh fruits such as kiwis, strawberries, cherries, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment