Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cracked Wheat Cereal or Mush


As a child, we knew winter was coming because my dad would start with the wheat mush. We groaned and moaned and knew that we'd be irregular for a couple of weeks and we knew that we'd be having this for breakfast for the next 4-6 months. How I hated it!

However, last year my parents came to visit and my dad made wheat mush for breakfast and I was amazed to find that I really loved it! My husband and kids really enjoy this for breakfast as well - especially on a cold winter morning.

3 c. water
3/4 c. whole wheat kernels
1/4 - 1/2 t. salt

Place the whole kernel wheat into a blender and blend until most of the kernels are cracked (not whole.) Slowly pour into the salted, boiling water and bring back to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid and lower the heat to low. Allow to cook approximately 15-20 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.

Serve with honey and milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment