These asparagus rolls are tasty and always get lots of compliments. They keep everyone guessing as they try to figure out what is wrapped around the asparagus.
While the original recipe yields 1 dozen, when serving a crowd I find that these can easily be cut in half prior to baking them, and arranged nicely on the serving tray.
• 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
• 1 container (8 ounces) spreadable cream cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
• 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
• 24 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Flatten bread with a rolling pin. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, onions and bacon. Spread mixture over bread slices. Cut asparagus to fit bread; place two spears on each bread slice. Roll up bread and place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Brush with butter; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 dozen.