Monday, February 16, 2009

Simple (yet addictive) Salad

My addictive salad
A friend invited us for dinner and I helped her make this salad. I have generally always hated oil and vinegar dressings, and was amazed when I fell in love with this one.

Drizzle approximately 2-3 T. olive oil in the bottom of salad bowl (depending on how big your salad will be). Add 1-2 finely chopped fresh garlic cloves. Add 1-3 t. dill (fresh or dried). Allow to seep for 5-10 minutes. Add salad greens (not iceberg,) 1/2 c. Craisins, and 1/2 c. nuts of your choice (I generally use whole toasted almonds) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat all ingredients with olive oil. Add enough balsamic vinegar to coat, and toss everything again in the vinegar. Parmesan or feta cheese may be added as a garnish. Serve immediately.

I learned that if you toss first with the olive oil and later with the vinegar, you don't have to deal with the oily taste (which I hate) nor any separation problems.
Also - I generally use a Tuscan olive oil and balsamic vinegar that I pick up at Costco for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment