Sunday, February 15, 2009

Pancake Mix


I know I should never start out with "I hate," but I feel strongly about this one. I hate Krusteaz Pancake mix - absolutely can't stand it. My husband loves its convenience. I was given this recipe from a friend several years ago. I love that it is super easy and quick, it is from scratch, and that it tastes SO much better than Krusteaz. I add cooked, pureed pumpkin (just cook, puree, and seal in baggies in the freezer) to this to give it a little more nutrition, and love that the pumpkin is virtually undetectable.

General Quick Mix
8 1/2 c. flour
4 T. baking powder
1 T. salt
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1 1/2 c. instant nonfat dry milk/dry buttermilk powder
2 1/4 c. shortening

In large bowl, sift together all ingredients (make it easy and use mixer.) Blend well. With pastry blender or heavy duty mixer, cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal in texture. Put in airtight container. Store in a cooll, dry place. Use within 10-12 weeks. Makes approximately 13 cups.

Variation - use 4 1/4 c. all purpose flour, and 4 1/4 c. whole wheat flour. Increase baking powder to 5 T.

Quick Pancakes
2 1/4 c. Quick Mix
1 T. sugar
1 egg beaten
1-1/2 c. milk or water
optional 1/2-1 c. cooked and pureed pumpkin and additional liquid as needed)

Combine mix and sugar in a medium bowl. Mix well. Combine egg and liguid in a small bowl. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Blend well. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Cook on hot oiled griddle. Makes 10-12 4" pancakes.

Serve with maple or berry syrup.

1 comment:

  1. I probably shouldn't tell this, but one time many years ago I found a weevil in my Krusteaz mix. I haven't used Krusteaz since then!

    ReplyDelete