Sunday, February 22, 2009
Creamy Frozen Fruit Cups
My mother in law made these for Thanksgiving several years ago and I fell in love with them. They pick up a tropical taste without the coconut and work as an appetizer, or a dessert. This recipe originally came from a Taste of Home magazine.
* 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
* 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
* 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans
* 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
* Fresh mint, optional
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Halve 9 cherries; chop the remaining cherries. Set aside halved cherries and 18 oranges for garnish. Add the pineapple, pecans and chopped cherries to cream cheese mixture.Fold in whipped topping and remaining oranges.
Line muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Spoon fruit mixture into cups; garnish with reserved cherries and oranges. Freeze until firm. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Top with mint if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.